Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Of mitochondria and minority governments.

It would appear that my former Grade 12 biology teacher will be a candidate for the Liberals in Saskatoon-Humboldt in the upcoming federal election.

I can't say I'm terribly enthused about Mr. Stroh's nomination. In fact, one could say I actively campaigned against him when he ran for Saskatoon city council, in the sense that I surreptitiously stole and discarded a pamphlet he'd left on my then-girlfriend's parents' kitchen table before they could read it.

While I'm not commenting on his political stance (not that I can - check the "Issues" page to see what I mean), I will make note of the fact that Mr. Stroh's website makes a great deal of his "30 years of experience as a highschool teacher." I make note because what that doesn't point out is that, assuming the average highschool biology teacher sees forty previously untaught students each year, Mr. Stroh's pedagogical skills - which can best be described as "perpetually and terminally grumpy" - may have led to the alienation of at least 1200 potential voters.

On the other hand, he did let us fledgling biologists redo our assignments until we got the highest mark we were comfortable with. A shrewd vote-buying scheme, perhaps? We'll find out January 26th, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home